A little piece of me

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bush fires

Have started earlier this season and once again are very close to us. The local Paper this morning said we have 30 fires burning around the north east of Victoria. I had a feeling we might get some Friday night, because when I went out to get Blake at 11.30 pm there was lots of lightning around. The next morning I knew they had started as I could smell the smoke and when I went outside there was a significant smoke haze.
I remember the 2003 fires very well as we had burning leaves falling around us for days and you couldn't see across the road for the smoke, it was that thick. It has been so dry this year that I think maybe the fires will be even worse than then. Hundreds of firefighters go out to battle these fires, some never get much of a break just rest when they can besides the roads. Thank god for organisations such as the Salvation Army for providing them with food and drink as the firefighters are the only reason these terrible fires don't destroy more property and take more lives.

Eddited to add - Blogger was not playing when I started this entry so I have continued it this morning after seeing billowing smoke out my front door yesteday and then a photo of it in the paper this morning.

It really does look like it will be a really bad summer for fires, maybe our plans for camping at Christmas won't eventuate after all.

7 Comments:

  • oh goodness me Trish, how scary for you all. I have been watching the fires on the news and hoping that people are kept safe, and the firefighters don't come to any harm either.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7/12/06 10:24  

  • Your are right Trish, it really doesn't make for a good start to the summer season does it.

    I also feel for the firefighter.

    My mum and Dad live near Umina in Sydney, and they had a very close call a couple of summers ago. so I really hope things aren't going to turn out like that again.

    Best Wishes
    Carole

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7/12/06 10:36  

  • Wasn't it nice to have the reprieve yesterday (thurs) from the smoke. What a shocker it is today, though!!! When I looked out towards your way yesterday, it looked like a lovely storm cloud but, of course, we know that it wasn't - just smoke from the fires.

    We're staying indoors as much as we can as the smoke affects both Andrew and I badly. Let's hope it doesn't come towards us like 2003.

    By Blogger Marie, At 7/12/06 12:35  

  • Wow, will be thinking of all the folks in that area....it's not something we hear about over here, so really had no idea!
    XO

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8/12/06 01:59  

  • just so scary trish...i hope that things improve for the area today but after watching the news this morning it looks like it will get worse before it gets better.
    stay safe and i will keep your community and the firefighters in my thoughts today.

    xxoo

    By Blogger Shazz, At 8/12/06 07:49  

  • Hi Trish
    Those fires a really bad have been also watching the news. I hope you and your family keep safe.

    Joanne

    By Blogger Joanne Bain, At 8/12/06 13:33  

  • Stay safe, thinking of you
    Mimi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9/12/06 00:10  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

blog counters

blog counters