A little piece of me

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Other things

I know I said I would post some more layouts from the retreat but as usuall other things have come up. Tara and I are working on a local workshop day and the numbers are looking really good and we have only just advertised in the local paper, it's looking like it will be very succesful. I know I have been asked by many 'where do you teach' but up untill now I haven't done much teaching locally, so we decided it was about time to do something about that. I also have a couple of big exciting projects for next year that I'm working on, but will share more on that later. So once again life is really busy and I 'm not having much time to blog but will try to at least once or twice a week.

Many of you might not know but my eldest son Luke was born at 33 weeks after suffering a stroke in utero. He wasn't expected to live, but did and he is the nicest most charming and caring boy in the world. Recently he has begun to work at a local cafe, doing a school based appretiship and we have been discussing him getting his licence as he is nearly 17 and can get his learners. Because of his physical disabilities we have had to have reports done by doctors, OT and Optometrist to ensure he is safe in the work place. All his life we have discussed the possibility that he may never be alloud to drive because of his disabilities, hoping to prepare him for the prospect, but last week he had his first optometrist visit and it went really well the doctor told us that if the next test went as well there would be no problems with him driving. Yay we got quite excited at the idea he would be able to drive after all, discussing lessons and stuff?!!?!? We went for the other tests yesterdaybut the very worst worst was confirmed, he will never drive a car!!!!!! It just breaks my heart for him he was devistated and very upset. The optomitrist was very very considerate of Luke's feeling and broke the news to me privatly, so I could dicuss it with Luke myself in private, he was very informative and described where and to what extent his damaged brain was effecting his vision. He realised what a huge thing this was for anyone but especially a young man as they are so into cars and things like that. It was so upseting!!!! I'm still crying for him. It is such a huge step into independance for anyone, your first car, being able to drive yourself and mates wherever and whenever you want, joy's Luke will never know.

Sorry for a down post but I'm truly sad today, next one will be better.

Trish

11 Comments:

  • Oh Trish, my heart goes out to you and Luke, what a sad moment for you both, there will be many *if onlys* there. Im glad that you had time to think about it first and find the right way to tell Luke. Motherhood can be more pain than joy at times cant it :(

    Now, for when you are feeling up to posting again ... I have tagged you with 5 short Qs on my blog :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7/9/06 10:45  

  • Hugs my friend, to you and Luke. Having worked in the licensing industry, I know how excited young people are when it comes time to get their learners. I am very sad for him. And sad that you had to break the news to him.

    By Blogger Marie, At 7/9/06 13:59  

  • Hi Trish, that is disappointing news for Luke. I'm glad you were able to break the news to him.
    Hope you enjoy your work shops you and Tara are working on!

    By Blogger Chris Millar, At 7/9/06 15:28  

  • Oh Trish, I am so sorry for you and Luke, I was unaware of the diabilities Luke had, and i feel for you as one mother to another. YOu are such an upbeat and optimistic person from what I see, so this must be really hard for you, thinking of you and Luke, I am sure you will make up for him not be able to drive and the love he gets from his family will kore than amke up for this
    hugs to you both
    anna xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8/9/06 01:31  

  • Trish, im trying to think what say....I too was unaware to Luke's disabilities....my heart goes out to you and warm hugs being sent your way. I can't even imagine what life has thrown at both you and Luke, and how many times you have had to sit down with him with dissapointing news......I just wanted to let you know, that I am thinking of you at this time....

    Steph xo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8/9/06 10:49  

  • Trish, like everyone else, I feel sad for you & Luke. But I am also aware that he has such a wonderful mother, who will be able to get him through this hurdle as only a mum can.

    Thinking of you.

    By Blogger Lisa Pate, At 9/9/06 09:05  

  • Trish, I didn't know you had a son with disabilities either! What disabilities does he actually have if you don't mind me being nosey?

    Not being able to drive definitely would be tough for him. Hey, on the bright side at least he'll never be skipper!! Sorry, I don't mean to make light of the situation but gotta look at the positives too. BIG HUGS to you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9/9/06 16:15  

  • what heartbreaking news for your son trish....and for you as his mum.
    i must admit i take all those "little" things for granted with my own kids - that they will drive, etc.
    but a plus that he has got a job and i am sure he will excel there.
    a life lesson we must all learn is to accept our limitations and to excel where we can but always a blow to learn what those limitations are.
    my love and thoughts are with you today...with my baby so ill at the moment i have decided that the lot of mum can be a heavy load to carry at times.
    have a happy sunday

    xxoo

    p.s. good luck with the workshop.

    By Blogger Shazz, At 10/9/06 07:46  

  • Hi Trish I am thinking of you! Thanks for popping over and saying hi, it was nice to hear from you. I have finally after 3 weeks updated my blog. I can sure get slack sometimes.LOL...
    Have a great day,
    Nicole.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 13/9/06 21:01  

  • Big hugs to you and Luke Trish!!! Very upsetting for you all!!!
    My heart goes out to both of you!!!
    Love
    Michelle xxx

    By Blogger Michelle G, At 14/9/06 08:54  

  • Trish,
    I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to Luke. But I'm thankful he is blessed with such a caring, thoughtful Mother who handled it so well.
    Love and best wishes to all of you.
    Deb x x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 14/9/06 11:50  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 

blog counters

blog counters